Sunday, January 17, 2016

DIY Boot Tray

Hello and happy Monday!

I hope everyone had a great weekend, I am finally back with a project post and in case you have no idea what's been going on with me lately, click here to find out why I've been so absent.

Now, on to today's project!

Before I built this boot tray we had been using a basket to contain all of our muddy boots. However, the basket wasn't working out because 1. Corey's boots are huge and 2. Corey's boots are huge.

So, off to Target to take a look at what kind of boot trays they had to offer. I first saw this one, love the size and shape but I didn't think the copper color would go well with the hardwood floors. The only other option I found was one of the cheap plastic ones. We've had one before and since they're so lightweight they tend to move all over the floor.

Since I didn't find anything I liked and in my price range, I decided to make one!

I used the plans found here, but to keep the cost down I used a 1x8x6 pine board for the base instead of the 14x36 pine board the plans call for. All I needed to do was cut the board to the length I wanted, then used a Kreg Jig to make pocket holes to connect the the two boards together for the base.

Once the tray was assembled I filled the nail holes and any gaps with wood filler and applied two coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in graphite and two coats of poly to protect the wood.

Once the poly dried I filled the bottom with river rocks, and that was it!




 

Finally something that looks great but is also big enough to fit those big ole boots. 

And... click here to see where I party!
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

16 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love how this looks and may try it myself.

    I wandered over from Work it Wednesday. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you could totally do it! The most time-consuming part was the paint and poly. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. That's great...maybe I'll make one for the basement where we have the floor space for it.
    I always see those trays at Target and they're nice but are expensive for what you're getting.

    Thanks for linking up :)
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving the look of this! You're right, there sure aren't a lot of options that look as pretty as this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you on Talented Tuesday Link Up - I LOVE this idea and even better, it is so easy to do! I am not crafty but I know I can do this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are right, it is super easy, you can totally do it, thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. This is so simple and easy. I think I'll be making myself a new boot tray next weekend. Thanks for linking up with us at the Best of the Blogosphere Linky Party! ~Jana from http://merlotmommy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, and yay that sounds awesome! And thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  6. Guuuuuuurl! This is awesome! I love this idea so very much. I just pinned it. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loveeee the idea of the rocks, so clever! Definitely pinning :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! This is so cute - makes a great statement too, better looking than those ugly boot trays.

    ReplyDelete